Standard Season Hire
The Award winning Bakehouse Theatre is located in the eastern part of the CBD, just a stone's throw from The Garden of Unearthly Delights, around the corner from the Hutt Street restaurant strip, and a short stroll to Rundle Mall - the centre of the city's shopping precinct.
It is a charming old building full of history (but also full of modern technical equipment) where we we love to make both you and your audiences feel welcome.
We have two theatre spaces, each with its own bar and foyer area where you can meet friends, chat before the show and even take your drinks into the theatre with you.
The Bakehouse Theatre is situated at 255 Angas Street, Adelaide (corner of Angas and Cardwell Streets).
At the Bakehouse you will find a wide variety of shows running all year round.
We have two theatre spaces - the Main Theatre and Studio Theatre.
CHECK OUT OUR RECENT VIDEO CLIP:- https://youtu.be/psbS4EQSiMY
A charming, intimate theatre space which seats 87 audience members on raked seating which looks down on the flat floor performance space. The performance space itself is a "black box" style of stage. There are no fixed sets, curtains or backdrops of any kind (except during the Fringe when there is a curtain across the back of the stage for ease of storage). There are two exits and entrances for actors on each side of the performance space.
It houses a wide range of professional live theatre shows at affordable prices. These shows are run by both the Bakehouse, and other theatre companies who hire the space.
It is fully air conditioned and there is a fully licensed bar in the friendly foyer. Drinks may be taken into the theatre.
Tickets are sold either by booking online or by taking your chances at the door on the night and paying in CASH. Seating is by GENERAL ADMISSION. Generally, latecomers will not be admitted, so it is best to arrive in plenty of time to find parking etc. Foyer doors open half an hour before the show commences.
- Audience capacity: 87.
- Fully licensed bar in friendly foyer (drinks may be taken into the theatre)
- Air conditioned.
- Performance Space - "black box" style 7 metres X 7 metres.
- Modern Digital Lighting System run by computer using "PC Stage" software
- Full sound system.
- Please read the document "Standard Conditions of Hire" (scroll down to attachments below and download it) BEFORE asking any further questions. This document takes the place of a contract which you will need to sign before hiring the theatre.
The Bakehouse Studio Theatre was newly refurbished and opened for the Adelaide Fringe 2009. A more intimate theatre, it holds 40 audience members and could be said to be the equivalent of the Fringe all year round. The Studio Theatre is suitable for plays that require a smaller number of actors, usually with minimal sets. It is also particularly suitable for one-man shows or stand up comedy.
We have continued to improve this space with full air conditioning, new audience seats, another entrance for actors at the rear of the stage, and its own separate bar/foyer area.
- Whole room measurement is 10.6 metres long by 4.5 metres wide.
- It is a "black box" theatre with no "wings" or curtains on stage
- Actors have two entrances stage right. One of these will bring actors on to the backstage area, and one to the downstage area.
- Audience enter the building from the front door on Angas St, and then the theatre from a hallway, which is the same as the downstage entrance for actors.
- Audience seating is 40 fixed seats. All except the first two rows are raked.
- Stage is 600mm high, 4700mm wide and 3600mm deep.
- The bio box is situated behind the back row of the audience approx 1200mm high
- We have a new 3 phase power system which is used in conjunction with PC Stage software. This runs both sound and lighting.
- The space is fully equipped with reverse cycle air conditioning and with ceiling fans
- The Studio Theatre now has its own fully licensed foyer and drinks may be taken into the theatre itself.
THE ATTACHMENTS BELOW ENTITLED "STANDARD HIRE CONDITIONS" AND "BUMP-IN, BUMP-OUT PROCEDURES" WILL CONSTITUTE YOUR HIRE AGREEMENT. THEY MUST BE READ THOROUGHLY AND SIGNED BEFORE YOU HIRE THE THEATRE.
We have a Main Theatre (capacity 87) and a Studio Theatre (capacity 40) available for hire. Click here for more information.